Most people think of acne as a problem faced only by adolescents and teens. However, plenty of adults in their 20s through their 50s are affected with the occurrence of acne either occasionally or on a regular basis.Hormones are the most common link to the causes of adult acne. Increased levels of testosterone and the adrenal hormone, DHEA, have been link to the exacerbation of severe acne. Testosterone is the male hormone responsible for hair loss in both men and women.Women in their 20s and 30s, sometimes experience premenstrual adult acne. It is believed this is due to the over-stimulated androgens (hormones that stimulate sebaceous glands and hair follicles in the skin), which cause women’s oil-producing glands to go into overdrive.Women who are pregnant or going through menopause or post-menopause may also experience an onset of adult acne. If adult acne coincides with pregnancy, it is crucial that the expectant mother work closely with her physician to obtain appropriate acne treatment.Another hormonal link to adult acne is estrogen. Estrogen dominance is a condition where a woman can have deficient, normal, or excessive estrogen, but little or no progesterone to balance its effects in the body. Progesterone is a steroid hormone involved in the female menstrual cycle and pregnancy. Symptoms of estrogen dominance include breast pain and headaches that might be accompanied by other skin complaints. The use of progesterone cream in some patients has been found to improve acne caused by estrogen dominance.Many women diagnosed with adult acne, also have a condition known as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or POS. This is a condition that involves the overproduction of male hormones, such as testosterone.If adult acne is accompanied by changes in the menstrual cycle, fertility complications or weight gain, the acne might be linked to a hormonal imbalance. Oftentimes, dietary changes which include more vegetables and fewer carbohydrates help control this type of adult acne.Infections caused by Candida albicans have been linked with an increase in adult acne. Candida albicans is a form of yeast bacteria that lives in the gut. Under normal circumstances, Candida causes no harm, although an overgrowth can lead to Candidiasis, commonly called a yeast infection or thrush. Sugary foods, processed foods and foods that contain wheat will need to be eliminated from the diet in order to manage a Candida overgrowth.Other factors that can cause adult acne include:Cosmetics: Whiteheads, blackheads and pimples can actually be caused by cosmetics. This includes the application of foundation make-up, night creams, and moisturizers composed of vegetable oils or oleic acid.Environmental: People who live in areas with high humidity or high levels of air pollutants have a higher risk of developing adult acne.Genetics: Acne tends to run in families. If your parents had acne, you’ll be more likely to also have issues with acne. Adult acne occurs in all races; however, Caucasians tend to be more affected than African Americans, Hispanics, or those of Asian descent.Medications: Some medications cause your skin to secrete more oil than it normally does and can lead to an outbreak of adult acne [http://www.the-acne-treatment.org].
It can be difficult to find the best treatment for adult acne. Incidence of adult acne is on the rise for reasons unknown, affecting up to one in four of all adult men and over half of all adult women at some point in their lives. Some people assume that this skin disorder only affects teenagers, but sadly this is not the case. It can present at any stage without warning and is common for people in their 20’s, 30’s and 40’s. So what do you do if you find yourself presented with a case of post-adolescent pimples?Most will agree that the pimples didn’t completely stop at the age of 20, having experienced at least a pimple or two on the odd occasion. Adult acne is more than just a few pimples with one third experiencing pimples on their body as well as their face. Women especially suffer from pimples before their period is due. In this case most of the pimples will be hormone related and will therefore be concentrated around the mouth and chin area. Others find that they suffered in their teens and recovered only to have it resurface later in life.To determine the best treatment for adult acne you may need to look at the causes. It is usually related to hormones, skin type, genetics, cosmetic makeup, hygiene, diet, exercise and even stress. In fact, there are so many causes it is often difficult to determine why someone is suffering from this skin condition. Each case will be different so it may be necessary to see a specialist to determine what is causing your skin to break out.The best treatment for adult acne is often the same as the treatment used as an adolescent. If you suffered as a teen you may wish to return to a similar treatment for your adult acne, especially if you know it worked well.It is important to look at a holistic approach to find the best treatment for adult acne. Consider your diet, lifestyle and exercise as co-contributors; your acne could well be a warning sign that something else with your overall health isn’t quite right.For some, the best treatment for adult acne won’t be the same as what was used to treat their adolescent pimples. If this is the case you may need to look at different methods as it is likely that the cause is not the same as before.Medicated cleansers with benzyl peroxide or salicylic acid coupled with a good exfoliating lotion will help to cleanse the skin of the bacteria causing the acne. The exfoliant will help to remove dead skin cells that may be contributing to the blocked pores but be careful not to over scrub. Over exfoliation can exacerbate the problem and increase sebum production which will only serve to aggravate the situation.There are many treatment kits available. Proactive and L’Oreal make specialized systems that are designed to specifically treat adult onset pimples. Some doctors will prescribe antibiotics or birth control pills to minimize the damage. It is important to note that some birth control pills aggravate the skin condition while others have the opposite effect, almost clearing up the skin altogether.For serious sufferers, there are other best treatments for adult acne available such as laser therapy, Accutane and the new Zeno Acne Clearing Device. To find the best treatment for adult acne it will be important to determine the cause and type so that you can target the problem and achieve resolution with better success.
Whether it’s your company’s first team building event or you’ve done it a gazillion times, there are a lot of reasons for taking time to choose the right facilitators for your next team building session. With the start-up ones and the more established companies all offering a fun-filled and meaningful company outing, you may start to wonder which one is right for you. When looking for a company, here are some tips to help you decide:
1. Ask around. People always like to share stories about how they became good friends with people from other departments after they teamed up for a particularly fun activity during a company outing. Others would swear they are never going to any team building activity again after they almost lost a limb rock climbing to “push their boundaries”. Some may not remember how their last team building went – which should say a lot. It must have been so completely boring they slept through most of it or so completely shameful they would rather forget. There is nothing like firsthand information to set you on the right direction in finding the right company for your team event.
2. Observe. You can pretty much tell from your first call or your first meeting if the company is suited to your needs. If the person receiving your inquiry sounds bored and uninterested, that is a red flag right there. Team building companies are in the business of igniting changes in human behavior, they should be genuinely interested in people and responsive to your needs.
3. It should be about YOUR people. Your company decided you needed a team building event. That means you have specific requirements you want addressed. If a training company puts together a menu of pre-packaged activities for you to choose from, run away fast. A professional training company will always ask first what specific concerns you have that you wanted addressed or goals that you want to achieve during the activity. From your specific requirements, they should be able to design a unique program that is hand-crafted for your company.
4. They should know from whence they speak. There are a lot of clichés in team building. Companies toss around words like “paradigm shift” and “core competency”. Sometimes it becomes hard to distinguish between the real deal and a bunch of cheerleaders out to make a quick buck organizing a series of games for sun-starved, desk-huggers. However, listen longer and ask questions. Pretty soon the jargon will run out and you will be left with either a deer in the headlights or someone who is actively taking notes and asking questions in return. A professional team building company will take the time for a needs assessment in order to prepare the best program for your group.
5. Takeaways and follow through. Team building is an investment in your company’s future and well-being but it only becomes an investment if the learning and positive attitudes you acquire are translated into the real-life workplace environment. A reputable team building company includes “takeaways” filled with insights to provide a connection between the workshop and the workplace. Instead of dashing off to the airport, a good facilitator will take the time to make sure your needs are fully met.
When you have decided which team building company you will entrust with handling your next team building event, it is important to be pro-active and not leave everything to the facilitators. Remember to provide input and help steer the direction of the program to ensure that your group gets the most out of your investment.
Colette Johnston is a Corporate Specialist in Professional Development focusing on soft skills related to effective leadership, presentation skills, and executive presence. For more than 15 years Colette has used experiential learning to help F500 organizations and the people who lead them to build skills around communication, problem solving, conflict resolution, trust and personality discovery.
Since a one-size-fits-all mindset does not fit in today’s dynamic business environment, Colette works with business leaders to develop individualized solutions through her consultative approach. Her years of knowledge and experience benefit a variety of different organizations from small business to Fortune 50 companies.
In addition to soft skills training, Colette brings Corporate Social Responsibility to her business partnerships with charity team building, inspiring positive change in the workplace and in communities.